Windy City Debut
The 611-room Westin Playa Bonita Hotel Panama
in Panama City has unveiled a 25,000-square-foot, six-suite villa, the Casa Naga, which overlooks the rainforest and is available for private events. The hotel has 20 meeting spaces in all, totaling 65,000 square feet.•
The Embassy Suites San Diego Bay-Downtown
has completed an $8 million renovation of all 341 two-room suites, the atrium and lobby areas and more. The hotel offers more than 5,000 square feet of event space.
• The Hyatt Boston Harbor has finished a $10 million renovation of all 270 guest rooms, adding new desks, LED lighting and more. The property features 21,000 square feet of indoor/outdoor meeting space.
• The Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers has nearly completed a $25 million, multi-phase revamp that enhanced all 1,214 guest rooms, created a new lobby, expanded the fitness center and more. By the end of this month, the property's meeting facilities (37 spaces, the largest of which spans 40,001 square feet) will have been refreshed as well, completing the renovation.
• In Nashville, the 340-room Loews Vanderbilt Hotel has finished a $7 million guest room renovation, inspired by "the image and accouterments of a traveling artist," per the hotel. This is achieved via moody gray tones, and wood and leather accents that reference guitars and leather boots. Details include real guitar straps on headboards and art pieces comprised of bus tickets, concert pins and recording signs. The property has more than 24,000 square feet of indoor function space; one highlight is the 3,900-square-foot Skylight Foyer with leather club chairs and sofas, which can host receptions and events for up to 300 people.
• The 10,000 square feet of meeting space at the 338-room Westin Arlington Gateway in Virginia has been redone. The nine meeting rooms have new carpeting, ceiling treatments and artwork. The hotel also features the Pinzimini Restaurant & Lounge, a Westin Workout gym, the New Balance Gear Lending program, an indoor pool and a Starbucks.
• The 294-room Westin Philadelphia has completed a $10 million renovation project, revealing updated guest rooms and suites, as well as a new look for the Winthorpe & Valentine restaurant and The Lobby Bar. The Rittenhouse Square property now offers new décor, furniture, fixtures and technology in all of its guest rooms, as well as more than 17,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
• The 273-room Four Seasons Hotel Bahrain Bay has debuted in the kingdom of Bahrain. The property features six meeting rooms and three ballrooms. Other offerings include seven dining outlets, three of them Wolfgang Puck restaurants, and a bar; one of the largest spas in the Four Seasons chain; five swimming areas, and a fitness center.
The 400-room Loews Chicago Hotel
has opened in the heart of the Streeterville district, just one block north of the Chicago River. Guests can enjoy Rural Society, an Argentine eatery by Iron Chef
Jose Garces. Among other highlights are a luxury spa, a rooftop terrace and 29,000 square feet of meeting space. More Debuts•
In Virginia, the 300-room Hyatt Regency Tysons Corner Center
has opened as the first new-build, full-service hotel in the area in more than 20 years. About 15 miles from both Washington Dulles International and Ronald Reagan National airports, the property has more than 15,000 square feet of meeting space, including the 7,000-square-foot Regency Ballroom, which can host some 600 guests under a 21-foot-high ceiling. •
The 374-room Hilton Mississauga/Meadowvale
has opened in Mississauga, Ontario, just 15 minutes from Toronto's Pearson International Airport. A complete transformation of the former Delta Meadowvale Hotel and Conference Centre, the hotel offers the Chop Steakhouse, global cuisine at the Quest Restaurant and Bar, a 40,000-square-foot fitness center and what's billed as the longest indoor water slide in the Greater Toronto area. Groups can make use of more than 40,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space, including 40 meeting rooms and two ballrooms.
• The 192-room AC Hotel Washington, DC at National Harbor has opened in National Harbor, Md., just across the Potomac River from the nation's capital. Features include the AC Lounge, serving craft beers, on-tap wines and small tapas-style plates; the AC Kitchen, offering European-influenced breakfast; various outdoor terraces overlooking the river, and more. Meetings take place in 3,700 square feet of space spanning three rooms, plus a number of outdoor event venues.
• The 186-room Sheraton McKinney Hotel and Conference Center in McKinney, Texas, has opened just north of Dallas. The lobby features the "Link@Sheraton experienced with Microsoft," the brand's signature social hub. Other amenities include an outdoor pool, dining at Sweetwater Bar & Grill, and a fitness facility featuring the brand's new health and fitness program, Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance.
• The 188-room Aloft New Orleans Downtown is newly opened for business. The Big Easy property offers approximately 2,500 square feet of meeting space, free Wi-Fi, a bar, a fitness center and an outdoor pool.
• The 114-room Baccarat Hotel & Residences New York, which will be managed by Starwood Capital Group's SH Group, has opened in midtown Manhattan with one 1,000-square-foot meeting room. The property, which occupies 12 floors of a 550-foot tower, has a restaurant, a 60-foot bar and an outdoor terrace overlooking the Museum of Modern Art.
• The 273-room Four Season Hotel Bahrain Bay has debuted in the kingdom of Bahrain. The property has six meeting rooms and three ballrooms. Other offerings include three Wolfgang Puck restaurants and a bar, four additional dining outlets, one of the largest spas in the Four Seasons chain, five swimming areas and a fitness center.
• On Turkey's Bodrum Peninsula, the 107-room JW Marriott Bodrum has opened with a 21,527-square-foot spa with 24 treatment rooms; five meetings rooms, and a 4,520-square-foot ballroom. The hotel, JW Marriott's second in Turkey (the first is in Ankara), is near to the Yalikavak Marina, which can schedule sailings and diving excursions along the Mediterranean Sea.