(See accompanying video at mcmag.com/dolcechefs
4 oz all-purpose flour
5 eggs yolks
salt to taste
a pinch of sugar
2.5 oz of melted butter
a pinch ground cardamon
4 oz of heavy cream
5 egg whites
2 oz of nettles and herbs
3-4 oz of aged ham scraps chopped vegetable oil or clarified butter as neededMethod
1. Mix all ingredients, except egg whites, ham scraps, nettles and herbs, and let rest for 15 minutes.
2. Adjust the texture with more cream if mixture is too think and dough-like.
3. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form and gradually fold into the batter together with the nettles and herbs.
4. Heat a cast-iron muffin tin and add 1 tablespoon of oil into each of the six holes; fill each hole up to the top with the
batter and cook for about one minute or until an outer crust is formed. Turn the ball ¼ out of the pan and fill the center with the chopped ham.
5. Close each ball by sealing the crust over the ham and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until light brown all over. Repeat from step 4 to make 12 fritters.
Recipe courtesy of the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, www.ciachef.edu