New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that his plan for a convention center and casino at the Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens has been put on hold after talks fell apart with Genting, the Malaysia-based developer, according to press reports. The 3.8 million-square-foot convention center, which would cost an estimated $4 billion, was a key part of Cuomo's State of the State address earlier this year. Cuomo said he's now discussing building a convention center and casino with other partner companies. He plans to open the project for competitive bids next year after the Legislature sends to voters a constitutional amendment that would allow Las Vegas-style casinos in the state. "We need a new convention center," Cuomo told reporters last Friday. "The state can't pay for it, and the only way we're going to be able to get it is if it's part of one of these casino/racino [as in casino racetrack] mega-developments. And I think we have the opportunity to get that done in a way that's most competitive for the state." Genting announced Monday that though the current plan fell through, the company will take part in the bidding process next year.