• Robust Internet bandwidth, both in guest rooms and meeting spaces, is worth far more than lackluster speeds.
• The more a hotel charges for Internet access, the lower its score.
• Note the placement of in-room AC outlets, not just their existence.
• The ability to handle a large number of simultaneous Wi-Fi connections is crucial in a property's meeting space.
The following checklist is adapted from TechSpec, a free mobile app created by meetings industry technology experts Corbin Ball (corbinball.com) and James Spellos (meetings-u.com) and produced by QuickMobile (quickmobile.com). TechSpec can be downloaded from techspec.quickmobile.mobi for either Apple iOS or Google Android devices. The app allows meeting planners to award point values for each attribute as indicated below.
A property can receive a maximum of 44 points for guest room technology.
• Wired Internet connectivity (5 points for speeds greater than 1Mbps; 2 points for 500kbps-1Mbps; 0 points for less than 500kbps)
• Wireless Internet connectivity (5 points for speeds greater than 1Mbps; 2 points for 500kbps-1Mbps; 0 points, less than 500kbps)
• Internet cost (5 points for no charge; 2 points for less than $10/day; 0 points for $10/day or more)
• No extra cost for connecting multiple devices (5 points)
• In-house 24/7 Internet support (2 points)
• Room keys (2 points for NFC/smartphone key; 1 point for electronic locks)
• HDTV, at least 40 inches (2 points)
• Docking station for portable music player (2 points)
• Ports for computer connection on televisions (2 points)
• AC outlets (at least 4, transformer-friendly) at desk height near desk (2 points)
• Power strip/surge protector (2 points)
• AC outlets (at least 2, transformer-friendly) at night table (2 points)
• Ergonomically designed desk and chair workstation (2 points)
• Mobile app for hotel functionality (2 points)
• In-room safe that can fit laptop (2 points)
• In-room safe with internal outlet for charging devices (1 point)
• Easy-to-set alarm clock (1 point)
A property can receive a maximum of 44 points for meeting space technology.
• Meeting and exhibit hall Internet speed (20 points for the capability to handle 500 simultaneous connections; 10 points for 100 simultaneous connections, and 5 points for 50 simultaneous connections. Download speeds should be at least 1Mbps and upload speeds at least 500kbps.)
• Internet cost (5 points for no charge; 2 points for less than $500/day; 0 points for $500/day or more)
• Free meeting room power (not including dedicated exhibit space), at least 12 outlets per 1,000 square feet (5 points)
• Complimentary charging stations (4 points)
• Phone signal accessibility (10 points)
A property can receive a maximum of 12 points for lobby/public space technology.
• Kiosk check-in and checkout (2 points)
• Complimentary charging stations in public areas (2 points)
• Mobile point of sale for retail/F&B outlets (2 points)
• Free Wi-Fi (2 points)
• Free 24/7 print kiosks for boarding passes (2 points)
• 24-hour business center access (2 points)