A meeting venue might quote you a fantastic price, but before you commit, pay attention to these hidden expenses, suggests Kimberly Kreml, manager of conference services and facility marketing for the University Center of Lake County (847-665-4010; ucenter.org) in Grayslake, Ill.
• Parking fees, especially in downtown areas
• Gratuities, which can really add up
• A/V fees. Some facilities charge you for bringing your own equipment and/or technician.
• Photocopies and faxes. It might be best to find a nearby copy center or negotiate unlimited copies into your contract.
• Resort amenities. Properties might tack on unexpected fees for amenities such as fitness centers, pools, etc., whether or not your group will use them.