1. Lake Champlain, Vt.: Spectacular multi-hued hillsides and some of the best fishing in North America.
2. Smoky Mountains National Park, N.C., Tenn.: "Ridge upon ridge of endless forest," says our source, America's Best & Top Ten
3. Maroon Bells, Colo.: Scenic trails meandering 12,000 feet above sea level.
4. The North Cascades, Wash.: "Jagged peaks, deep valleys, cascading waterfalls and over 700 glaciers."
5. The Mohawk Trail, Mass.: Peerless leaf-peeping ever since Native Americans forged the original path.
6. Blue Ridge Parkway, Va., N.C.: The southern Appalachian Mountains in full fall glory.
7. Sheltowee Trace Trail, Ky., Tenn.: "Sheltowee" means "Big Turtle" to the Shawnee, the tribe that once hunted here.
8. The North Woods, Wis.: In autumn, prettier than any painter's palette could produce.
9. Assateague Island, Va., Md.: Beautiful orange and red tones abound, not to mention more than 300 species of birds.
10. White Mountains Trail, N.H.: A favorite haunt for hikers.
Source: America's Best & Top Ten; americasbestonline.net
More Lists »