1. April 1990: At a press conference, New York City Mayor David Dinkins answers a question about his failure to pay personal income taxes by noting, "I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."
2. January 1992: President George H.W. Bush vomits into the lap of Japanese prime minister Kiichi Miyazawa just before fainting (from a suspected norovirus) at a state dinner for 135 diplomats held at Miyazawa's home.
3. December 2007: In front of hundreds of onlookers, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and wife of England's Prince Charles, attempts to christen the mammoth new luxury liner Queen Victoria in dock in Southampton; she pushes a button releasing a bottle of Veuve Clicquot that swings into the ship's side -- and promptly bounces off, intact. A functionary quickly does the job manually to avoid any possible maritime curse (i.e., when Princess Anne suffered the same christening mishap with the liner Aurora in April 2000, the ship broke down 18 hours into its maiden voyage).
4. March 2009: At the conclusion of a meeting in Washington, D.C., President Barack Obama presents British prime minister Gordon Brown with a gift box of 25 classic American movies on DVDs; while grateful for the gesture, Brown notes that the disks are coded to play in North America only.
5. September 2009: At the annual MTV Video Awards, rapper/singer Kanye West jumps on stage during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech for best female video to protest the judges not awarding the prize to Beyoncé Knowles. He's still apologizing.
Source: Meetings & Conventions
More Lists »