When CNN picks its favorite hotel bars, that's newsworthy in its own right. After all, who knows more about bars than journalists? Here are a handful of the network's top picks.
1. Rock Bar, Ayana Resort & Spa, Bali, Indonesia. You'll need a drink just from getting here, as the joint is perched a mere 15 or so yards above the Indian Ocean, accessible by cable car down a sheer cliff.
2. Icebar, Icehotel, Copenhagen, Denmark. It's all ice -- the chairs, the glasses, the art, the bar, the building. And, in winter, the neighborhood.
3. Sky Yard, Drake Hotel, Toronto. A garden-like space, Eastern-inspired décor, daybeds, indie film screenings -- you'll have flashbacks to 1967.
4. Sky Bar, Iebua at State Tower, Bangkok, Thailand. Leave your acrophobia at home, because this bar is a dizzying 63 stories up. Note the nice views of the entire Eastern Hemisphere.
5. Grotto Bar, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii. This outdoes most swim-up bars thanks to its location inside a dimly lit cave punctuated by two waterfalls. If with a group, be sure to have a designated lifeguard.