news from Key west
The 178-room Margaritaville Key West Resort and Marina
(formerly the Westin Resort and Marina) debuted earlier this year with 16,000 square feet of indoor/outdoor meeting and event space.
• The 175-room Oceans Edge Key West Hotel and Marina has opened on Stock Island, four miles from Old Town. The luxury resort has six pools and a waterfront bar and restaurant.
THE PALM BEACHES
• The Boca Raton Mandarin Oriental is set to debut in downtown Boca Raton in 2018 as part of an upscale mixed-use development. The 158-room property will offer extensive banqueting and meeting space, including a 4,500-square-foot ballroom; stay tuned for additional details as they become available.
• The Waterstone Resort & Marina in Boca Raton is now part of Curio -- a Collection by Hilton. The 139-room boutique hotel has four meeting rooms, a private dining room and outdoor event space.
• The new 150-room Canopy by Hilton West Palm Beach is expected to break ground later this year near the CityPlace dining, shopping and entertainment complex.
Meeting Hotels: To find and compare hotels in the Palm Beaches, and to send RFPs, visit mcvenues.com.
Convention Center:Palm Beach County Convention Center; exhibit space, approximately 100,000 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 19; (561) 366-3000
Airport Transit: Palm Beach International Airport, about four miles west of West Palm Beach. Transfer cost by taxi, $15
Taxes: Room tax, 6%; sales tax, 7%; total tax on hotel rooms, 13%
Contact: Discover The Palm Beaches, (800) 554-7256
The new 184-room Hutchinson Shores Resort & Spa in Jensen Beach will be unveiled this summer. In addition to its beachfront setting, the Opal Collection resort on Florida's Treasure Coast will offer groups two oceanfront restaurants, two swimming pools, a fitness center, a signature spa and 8,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
Get ready to rock
The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood is adding an 800-room guitar-shaped tower, new dining and entertainment venues, and nearly 50,000 square feet of function space, all to be completed by late 2019. The resort currently has 469 guest rooms and 40,000 square feet of meeting space.
• The Hyde Resort & Residences has debuted in Hollywood. The resort's 363 one-, two- and three-bedroom suites feature floor-to-ceiling glass doors and wraparound terraces. Other offerings include two rooftop infinity pools, a spa and two meeting rooms.
• The 290-room Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach is expected to open for business in late fall of this year. The hotel will feature indoor and outdoor restaurants, a spa and fitness center, an elevated deck with a pool and cabanas, and 10,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
• The Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa has unveiled a head-to-toe renovation, including a revamp of all 650 guest rooms. The beachfront property offers more than 100,000 square feet of indoor/outdoor meeting space, a full-service spa and three restaurants.
• A dual-branded Starwood hotel is slated to open in Fort Lauderdale in spring 2018. The 323-room property, divided into the 209-room Dalmar, an entry in the Starwood Tribute Portfolio, and the 114-room Element by Westin, will include a joint lobby, a lobby bar, an expansive pool deck and a fitness room. The hotels also will share 12,000 square feet of meeting space and the city's first high-rise rooftop bar.
• Le Méridien Dania Beach at Fort Lauderdale Airport, formerly the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port Hotel, is undergoing a $30 million refurbishment. When it reopens this fall, the property will have 245 guest rooms, 20,000 square feet of meeting space and two redesigned restaurants.
Meeting Hotels: To find and compare hotels in the greater Fort Lauderdale area, and to send RFPs, visit mcvenues.com.
Convention Center: Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center; exhibition space, approximately 200,000 square feet; number of meeting rooms, 31. (954) 765-5900
Airport Transit: Fort Lauderdale--Hollywood International Airport, six miles south of Fort Lauderdale; transfer cost by taxi to Port Everglades and the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center, $10-$15
Taxes: Tourist development tax, 5%; sales tax, 6%; total tax on hotel rooms, 11%
Contact: Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, (954) 765-4466