For the 33rd year, Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, professor in the Department of Earth & Environment at Florida International University in Miami, has released his list of the top 10 beaches of the year in the United States. The annual ranking is based on 50 criteria, including sand and water quality, views, currents, wind speed, pests, cleanliness, and more.
Topping this year’s list is St. George Island State Park on Florida’s Gulf Coast, followed by Duke Kahanamoku Beach in Oahu, and Coopers Beach in Southampton, N.Y. Three of the top 10 beaches for 2023 are in Hawaii.
Dr. Leatherman is an internationally known coastal scientist who has published 20 books and hundreds of scientific articles and reports about storm impacts, coastal erosion, and how to improve beach health and safety.
Previous national winners are considered “retired” and are not considered in future rankings.
Top 10 US beaches for 2023
- St. George Island State Park, Fla.
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, N.Y.
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Fla.
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks, N.C.
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, Calif.
- Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
- Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.