The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association's Caribbean Travel Update continues to provide regular updates on the hurricane recovery efforts in the islands. As of today, the following destinations are listed as "on the road to recovery" -- Anguilla, Barbuda, British Virgin Island, Dominica, Puerto Rico, St. Barts, St. Croix, St. John, Sint Maarten, St. Martin and St. Thomas. For details about hotels and infrastructure in those destinations click here.
Following is excerpted from the latest information posted for Puerto Rico:
The resumption of normal flight operations at Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU) is being delayed for safety reasons, because radar-functionality limitations are impacting the number of arrivals and departures possible. The airport is operational again, but the schedule is limited to 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EDT until further notice. There are approximately 12 commercial flights scheduled daily. International flights have not yet been authorized.
Airport authorities are working closely with the Federal Aviation Administration [https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=88805] to resolve this situation while ensuring safe operations. These operational limitations unfortunately have also resulted in overcrowding conditions and passenger delays. The Puerto Rico National Guard has been on-site distributing food and water to the remaining travelers at SJU to make them as comfortable as possible until they are able to reach their final destinations.
Travelers without confirmed flights are strongly encouraged to avoid going to the airport. Reservations are not being managed at SJU, and passengers must reconfirm these reservations directly with their airlines before going to the airport for check-in. Also note that airplane seat capacity is extremely limited, as airlines continue to work on additional recovery flights.
The Puerto Rico Tourism Co. expects increases in airport capacity as soon as the technical restrictions are eased.
The following hotels are closed and not taking new reservations until further notice. Those with existing reservations in the coming days should contact the hotel directly for rebooking.
• Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
• W Retreat & Spa in Vieques
• Gran Meliá
• Coral by the Sea Hotel
• Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa (planning to reopen at the end of the year)
• Royal Isabela
The following hotels are open but not taking new reservations before Oct.15:
• Hyatt Place San Juan
• Hyatt House San Juan
• Verdanza Hotel
The following hotels are open, but not taking new reservations before Oct. 22:
• Hyatt Hacienda del Mar (Dorado)
• Hotel El Convento
• Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
• Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
• AC Hotel by Marriott San Juan Condado
• La Concha Resort
• InterContinental San Juan in Isla Verde
• San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
• The Wave Hotel
• Holiday Inn Express San Juan Condado Hotel by IHG
• Canario Boutique Hotel
• Coral Princess Hotel
• At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
• Best Western Condado Palm Inn & Suites
• Comfort Inn San Juan
• Hotel Miramar
• Hotel Villa Montaña & Spa
The following hotels are not accepting existing or new reservations through Oct. 31:
• Caribe Hilton
• The Condado Plaza Hilton
• Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
• Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
• Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
• Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
• El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
• DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Juan
The following hotel is no longer accepting existing or new reservations through Dec. 31:
• El Conquistador, a Waldorf Astoria Resort
If you have a trip scheduled for this upcoming week and through Oct. 15, call your hotel or travel agent directly and consider rebooking for a later date.